Start of studies in winter semester 2023/2024

A warm "Moin" from Emden/Leer University of Applied Sciences,

Thank you for your interest!

If you start your studies in the winter semester 2023/2024, your studies will begin with an official welcome ceremony on 11.09.2023.

You will soon be able to find more information about the first semester welcome in your study program on the pages of the respective departments, which we have linked to you below.

The further, central first semester program is currently being planned - you can look forward to it!

If you have any further questions or uncertainties, please contact our Student Counselling Service. Contact details of the consultants can be found here:


For further information please select your faculty:

Those who start their studies usually need a room or an apartment. Fortunately, Emden and Leer are not "university metropolises". Compared to other cities you can get relatively cheap places to stay, even below 200 euros in the vicinity of the university. It is just a question of how?

For anyone who is visiting Emden or Leer anyway (e.g. to have a look at the university) can check the numerous "black boards" in the university building. On-site you can also visit one of the numerous real estate agents or do a walk through the city center, and discover some shop windows with accommodation offers; however, this mediation is not free of charge.

Furthermore, the Saturday edition of the local newspapers (Emder Zeitung, Ostfriesen Zeitung) contain a large real estate section, the Emder Zeitung offers also an online market. In addition, free newspapers with numerous classified ads will appear on the weekend.

In addition to private rentals, there are also several student dormitories in Emden

These are managed by the Studentenwerk Oldenburg (SWO), detailed information is available online. If you are interested, you can apply online, waiting times are possible.

The SWO also arranges rooms in Emden, which are offered by private landlords. Information about this can also be obtained from the counseling center.

Consultation hours of the counseling center of the SWO in Emden:

Monday, Wednesday u. Friday: 09:00 to 12:00

Tuesday u. Thursday: 09:00 to 12:00 and 12:30 to 15:00

In Leer you also have the possibility to rent rooms from private providers. A list of current offers can be obtained from Mrs. Kampen.

The location of the apartment is secondary, distances in Emden or Leer can be easily reached with the most popular East Frisian mean of transport, the bicycle (There is also a bicycle repair shop with instructions at the HS Emden!).

Emden: In addition to the city center, it is also worth taking a look at the surrounding neighborhoods. The Constantiaviertel in Emden is of course ideal because of the proximity to the university, but it is rather expensive. Larrelt is conveniently located and easily reachable by a pedestrian bridge over the ring road, the same applies to the settlement Conrebbersweg which can be reached through the bridge over the Larrelter Tief. But if you are looking forward to a cheap apartment in Petkum, you should first take a look at the city map.

When do you have to submit your insurance certificate?

The following cases apply for the submission of your insurance certificate: for enrollment at the beginning of your studies, in case of a change of  health insurance or in case of a change of university.

Family insurance during studies

Students can be co-insured by their parents with a statutory health insurance up to the age of 25 years. Who has done basic military or civil service and therefore had to interrupt studies or pursued the study at a later point in time, remains insured for this period and beyond. If you are insured with your parents, please submit a certificate from the health insurance company.

At the age of 25 you have the choice

Of course, with the expiry of the family insurance, it is possible to continue to be insured with the previous health insurance. Upon request, you will receive a new insurance certificate, which you must submit immediately.

Exemption from compulsory insurance

If you have a private health insurance or you are privately insured by your parents, you must obtain a certificate of exemption from a statutory health insurance (AOK, Barmer, TK, etc.).

End of compulsory insurance

Compulsory insurance usually ends after graduation of your studies (latest at the end of the 14th semester) or with the semester in which you complete your 30th year. In exceptional cases, please contact your health insurance.

Please note: Insurance certificates can only be accepted if your insurance number and the company number of the health insurance are given. A copy of your insurance card is not enough.

The application for the regular BAföG should be submitted to the Departmental Support Service of the Studentenwerk Oldenburg, Schützenweg 44, D-26129 Oldenburg no later than upon receipt of the letter of acceptance. The application can also be submitted to the SWO branch office in Emden (Mensa building). A proof of enrollment, such as a copy of the letter of acceptance must be attached to the application. The enrollment certificate must be submitted after successful enrollment.

Office hours of the BAföG consulting in Emden:

Tuesday and Thursday: 09:00 to 12:00 and 12:30 to 15:00

Further information can be found on the Internet at:

The tuition fee must be paid each semester and covers the tuition fee for one semester.

Further regulations and peculiarities can be found here.