Willkommen - Bienvenue - Welcome - Dobrodosli - Bienvenidos - Witamy - Tervetuloa - Merhaba - добро пожаловать - Groeten - 欢迎


Welcome to Germany

Entry into Germany: with or without a visa?

If your nationality is from a country of the European Union (EU), of the European Economic Area (EEA) or from Switzerland, you do not need a visa to enter Germany. You only require a valid passport. However, within 2 weeks after entry into Germany you are required to register at the local Residents’ Registration Office (Einwohnermeldeamt) in order to receive a residence permit.

If your nationality is from a non-European country, you need a visa (category D). Whether you require a visa for study purposes for entering Germany or whether you can obtain the required residence title for study purposes only after entry into Germany depends on the country you come from and on how long you plan to stay in Germany. For further information, please contact the Federal Foreign Office

It is important for you to enquire about the necessary formalities for applying for a visa at the earliest possible date. We advise you to apply for a visa in good time as it usually takes several weeks to process the visa application.

For further information about the documents required, please contact one of the German Missions Abroad, i. e. the German Embassy or the General Consulate of the German Embassy in your home country or country of residence.

Click here to learn more:

Citizens' Office Emden: 
Frickensteinplatz 2, 26721 Emden (in German only): 

Information for finding an accommadation:

Click here to learn more

This program aims to provide support to new international students before and during their studies at the university and to deepen the intercultural exchange on campus.

about Buddy-Program

In today’s world, international work experience is becoming increasingly more important and it is sometimes difficult to find a suitable work placement that usually students have to organize it by themselves. 


International students have to have a health insurance, which is valid in Germany in order to register at the University of Applied Sciences Emden/Leer. There is a possibility that your health insurance from home is valid here in Germany as well. So international students have the following possibilities:

Take out a foreign health insurance for Germany in your home country

Here you have to make sure that the health insurance covers everything. That means It is very important for you to know that if your policy is valid during the whole duration of stay in Germany, it covers all new and emerging diseases, epidemics and medically necessary treatments, including COVID-19.The insurance policy has to be available in English or in German.European students, who have an EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) and Turkish students, who have an AT/11 form, do not need an extra health insurance to study in Germany. Please note that this rule does not apply, if you have a job or paid internship in Germany.

Take out insurance in Germany

There are private and national health insurances in Germany. Students have to pay appr.100€ per month for national health insurance. Costs for private health insurance can differ and you can compare them online. Students with foreign health insurance or a private German health insurance need proof for registration at university, that the insurance is sufficient. This proof can be issued by national German health insurances. Important information about health insurance can be found on the following website: German Academic Exchange Service

Therefore the University of Applied Sciences Emden/Leer strongly advise all students open up a private accident and also a liability insurance that is valid in Germany. (The liability insurance is important when you accidentally injure or damage someone else or someone else's property. It is highly recommended to have this insurance).

Vera von Hunolstein
ERASMUS+/Exchange Students

Raum/Room: T 101
+49 4921 807 1378

Marina Gastmann

Raum/Room: T 101
Telefon / Phone:
+49 4921 807 1369


Erasmus KA 171 (International Dimension)

Frau Corina Sandersfeld
E-Mail:  corina.sandersfeld(at)hs-emden-leer.de
Tel. +49 4921 807 1242

Welcome Brochure