If during your academic studies you wish to complete an internship during the semester breaks, that counts as "regular" work. This also applies to unpaid internships. Each day of the internship will be deducted from your 120 day limit.
Exceptions for mandatory internships: if your internship is a so-called mandatory internship as required by the study regulations, you can work for more hours.

The University of Applied Sciences Emden/Leer holds a cooperation with the Chamber of Commerce of  East Frisia and Papenburg (IHK).

For international students this cooperation enables to be registered at the Chamber's official internship seeking data bank with a reasonable chance to get connected with a prospective local employer. >> See our handout here.

For more information please contact us directly. We can provide you with all the necessary information to proceed with your application.

An ideal way to add to your student experience is to look for a student job within our university. Students sometimes find work in either central institutions of the university, or in selected projects in their faculty or in other working capacities at a professor's office.

Open positions are usually announced on job boards at secretary offices in your faculty, on other notice-boards throughout the university or at Infosys

>> Infosys announcements (in German)

Quite a few of our students work part-time in cafésbars or restaurants in town. Students also have the option to assist at fairs or in private families (e.g. baby sitting, shopping etc.). Students can also help out at our weekly fruit-, vegetable- and flower market. 

Open positions are typically announced in local newspapers (e.g. Emder Zeitung) as well as on black boards in local supermarkets. We also advise you to inquire in person at  local businesses

Germany is following a strict legal framework when it comes to working part-time during your studies in Germany. There are legal regulations covering the amount of hours international students are allowed to work. The rules vary depending on your country of origin.

How much you earn in your part-time job will very much depend on your expertise, the region and the sector in which you want to work. Germany established a minimum wage in 2015. You can check the current amount on the website of the Bundesministeriums für Arbeit und Soziales (Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs).

You can have a student job and earn up to 450 EUR per month without having to pay taxes. But if you regularly earn more than 450 EUR, you will need a tax number. A certain amount will be deducted from your salary each month, which you will get back if you submit a tax return at the end of the year.

If you are permanently employed in Germany, you will normally pay social security contributions. These include payments for health insurance, nursing care insurance, pension and unemployment insurance. You do not have to pay these contributions if you work less than two months at a stretch or less than 50 days throughout the year.

>> Find all important information here