Outgoing students

The Faculty of Maritime Sciences has contacts with numerous European universities and thus enables students to spend time abroad within the Erasmus+ programme. The programme waives tuition fees at the host university and awards scholarships. A stay abroad is an exciting experience and a special personal enrichment. As a student, you have many opportunities to integrate periods abroad into your course of study. This can be an internship semester abroad, a semester of study abroad or a stay abroad to write your final thesis.

Here you will find some useful information for planning a stay abroad.

If you have any further questions, we, the International Coordinator and the lecturers of the department as well as the contact persons in the International Office of the Hochschule Emden/Leer, will be happy to support and advise you.

Recognition of academic achievements from abroad
The following information is intended to serve as an orientation for students of the Faculty of Maritime Sciences who are planning a study stay abroad and want to take examinations there. The selection of the foreign partner university and courses is also important for their later recognition. In the interest of all parties involved, questions of doubt should be clarified as early as possible in order to avoid problems later on.

In addition to the general advice of the International Office, the following applies:

1. before the stay abroad

Students who are planning to study abroad should seek advice in good time on the choice of university and the courses available there. In addition to the general advice provided by the International Office, Ms. Christiane Walden and the respective professors in the faculty are available for professional advice. In questions of recognition, the contact person is the chairman of the examination board, Professor Dr. Mathias Münchau.

Particularly in the case of subjects of the Nautical Science and Maritime Transport course of studies, national differences can lead to partial recognition. In these cases, it must be clarified how the missing part in the subject area can be covered. This can be done by means of term papers, presentations etc.  

After the study contents have been determined, the „Learning Agreement“ must be signed by the chairman of the examination board. The conversion of grades must also be discussed, as the grading systems at foreign universities sometimes differ greatly. The basis for the conversion is the information provided by the respective university, which is provisionally communicated to the students during the consultations or when the "Learning Agreement" is signed. The final conversion is based on the current information provided by the foreign university for the semester in question.

After signing, the "Learning Agreement" is sent to the foreign university by the International Office. The students will receive a copy for their records.

2. during the stay abroad

During the stay abroad the situation may arise that changes or additions to the Learning Agreement may be necessary. Such changes must also be agreed with the chairman of the examination board and the "Learning Agreement" must be amended or supplemented accordingly (see "CHANGES TO THE ORIGINAL LEARNING AGREEMENT"). Students submit a copy to the International Office.

3. after the stay abroad

Students submit the Transcript of Records (the official transcript of grades from the foreign university) and a copy of the Learning Agreement to the chairman of the examination board, who converts the grades and forwards the result to the Examination Office. The credit points and grades are then entered in the students' performance record by the Examination Office. 

Contact persons:
Christiane Walden (christiane.walden|at|hs-emden-leer.de)
Prof. Dr. Mathias Münchau (mathias.muenchau|at|hs-emden-leer.de)