Staying abroad with a child

Once per semester there the International Office and the Family Serviceoffer a special info-session for students with children, who are interested in a stay abroad. Here you will find the dates of the info-sessions.

Furthermore, you can make an individual appointment. This way we can counsel you according to your needs.

Here you will find some useful links, that can also help you:

Experiences of students:

Scholarships for study stays abroad with children:

Students with children can receive a special additional financial compensation for a stay abroad (study/internship), when they receive a grant for their stay abroad:

Erasmus Programme

Fixed top up of 250 euros per month irrespective of the target country and the amount of children in addition to the monthly rate (academic year 2021/22: country group 1 = 450 €, country group 2 = 390 €, country group 3 = 330 €)

Application also possible when partner travels with you; a double funding of a child has to be excluded.

When both parents get the funding and take at least two children with them, they can both get the top-up.

A proof is needed, that the child/the children have actually travelled with you, e.g. travel documents or proof of day care abroad

See also:

You will find general information about the Erasmus programm under the following links:

Erasmus grant for a study stay abroad

Erasmus grant for an internship abroad

Programmes with direct application at the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)

E.g. HAW International, DAAD Jahresstipendien (scholarships for a full year), DAAD Kombinierte Studien- und Praxissemester (for combined study and internship stay abroad)

Selected participants can apply for the following extra funding:

Child allowance

Cost for child care

Allowance for married couples

Extra travel funding for partners and children

Insurance for partners and children

Further information under:

Here you will find infomation about the programmes.