The Emden Sustainability Award for an outstanding student project or thesis in the field of sustainable development has been awarded since 2021. It is a cooperation between Stadtwerke Emden and the university. The award is given out along with 1000 euros in prize money.
Students interested in participating in the competition should contact their mentoring lecturer. Submissions are then made by the mentoring lecturers or by Prof. Michael Schlaak. We look forward to your work!
The first Emden Sustainability Award was presented to our electrical engineering graduate Kai Rösken in 2021 for his instructive Bachelor’s thesis:
In it, Mr Rösken dealt with the development of a freely accessible computer programme that makes it possible to design battery storage for photovoltaic systems more effectively – and thus to produce more green electricity.
Formalities of the call for proposals:
The Emden Sustainability Award is awarded to an outstanding student project or thesis in the field of sustainable development. It is preferred for the topic of the thesis to come from the following areas:
- Resource conservation
- Renewable energies
- Energy efficiency
- Climate change mitigation
- Sustainable digitisation or recycling of valuable materials
- As well as demonstrate sustainable regional development of the regional economy and society, and in this way also support the Greentech Ostfriesland initiative.
Proposals for the competition can be made by lecturers from the university who have supervised the academic work. The responsible lecturers must submit a one-page recommendation (short report) together with the proposal which makes clear:
- which of the above areas the work refers to
- the extent to which the candidate has worked creatively on the topic
- whether the work creates prospects for implementation or promotes regional development
- that the work has been carried out with academic care and meets the general standards
Submissions of student work:
- should include the proposed work and the short report in digital form,
- should be made by the mentoring lecturer or Prof. Michael Schlaak (firstname.lastname@example.org),
- should be submitted to the coordinator for sustainability and social responsibility at the university (email@example.com).
For the assessment, students undertaking the sustainability certificate also have the option of submitting their work independently of their mentoring lecturers via Prof. Michael Schlaak.
All submissions are reviewed by an expert jury consisting of representatives from the Advisory Board for Sustainability/the university, Stadtwerke Emden, and Stadt Emden. The winner is selected by the jury from the submitted works according to the criteria listed.
The award ceremony is open to the public.