FAQ - Coronavirus - for international incoming students

Status quo: 02.07.2021 (all statements without guarantee)

We plan to start  the Fall Term 2021/22 with lectures on 20th September 2021.


A final decision of how lectures will be carried out in the Fall Term 2021/22 has not yet been made by the UAS Emden/Leer.

Based on todays situation, a hybrid form, i.e. a mixture of online and presence lectures, might be possible though still subject to change.

We will keep you updated on the situation. 




Yes, orientation weeks are planned to be carried out from 2nd September - 17th September 2021.

Please note that we wil probably not be able to hold our usual “Orientation Weeks”  in the same format as the previous years, and are currently preparing to welcome our students with a programme of a mix of online and some face-to-face (if situation will allow it) activities.


Yes, as we offer a mostly virtual programme all (new) international students with a proper enrolment at our university can follow.
IMPORTANT: Access to “Orientation Weeks” will offered when you have registered for it. So if you want to attend and are degree-seeking student, please send an email with short information about your person and status at UAS E/L (freshman, higher semester…) to our International Office: international.office(at)hs-emden-leer.de

Exchange students already have received the information how to register, then.


Yes, of course, during the “Orientation Weeks” you will also have the possibility to learn or improve German language on the “beginner” or “advanced” level in an “Intensive German language course” before lecture start. These courses will continue during the semester.




Please check travel restrictions for Germany and your home country, before you plan your journey.
Detailed information links regarding entry into the Federal Republic of Germany:

     Only available in German language: https://www.niedersachsen.de/Coronavirus/informationen_in_leichter_sprache/die-krankheit-corona-virus-185485.html

The law still requires that people coming from risk areas, high incidence areas or virus variant areas have to self-isolate in their accommodation for the required 14 days quarantine period and are not permitted to leave for any reason except emergency medical care. So it is also necessary to follow quarantine regulations based on COVID-19. Before arriving, it is essential to clarify on own responsibility where a possible quarantine can be spent.

Please also read FAQ No. 9 carefully!


The entry and quarantine regulations from foreign risk areas change from time to time.

Here is the most important information (update 07/02/2021):

  • If you come from a foreign risk area, you must be in quarantine
  • Before you enter Germany from a risk area, you must register electronically via the Internet portal  www.einreiseanmeldung.de
  • The quarantine period is usually 10 days
  • If you are entering by plane you must show up a negative PCR test before boarding
  • Entries from virus variant areas are currently not possible
  • When enetering from a high incidence area, the quarantine for non-vaccinated or recovered persons can be lifted by a PCR test after 5 days at the earliest
  • When entering from a normal risk area, the quarantine can be endet immediately by showin proof or vaccination or recovery or a negative PCR test
  • The International Office can help you find temporary accommodation if you contact us

 IMPORTANT: Please read the following information of our University of Applied Sciences Emden/Leer: detailed information about entry and quarantine regulations

 All statements without guarantee.


An overview of possibilities for COVID 19 testing in Emden can be found here .

An overview of possibilities for COVID 19 testing in Leer can be found here.


  • If you live with other people, you should stay in different rooms to avoid infection and you should not sleep in the same room
  • Make sure you wash your hands regularly
  • Follow the coughing and sneezing rules.
  • Ventilate living rooms and bedrooms well
  • Do not share household items such as dishes, linen and towels with each other
  • Use your own bathroom if possible
  • Do not share hygiene items with each other, wash laundry regularly and thoroughly
  • Surfaces such as doorknobs, tables and storage surfaces should be cleaned regularly and thoroughly and, if possible, disinfected
  • Meals should be taken separately from each other
  • Ask others who are not under quarantine to go shopping for you (see also question hereunder)
  • If there are people in your household who belong to risk groups due to their age or previous illnesses, you should check whether they can be accommodated elsewhere for the duration of the quarantine, unless a quarantine has also been ordered for them


Please inform our International Office immediately in order to organize students who take care for food, for example: international.office(at)hs-emden-leer.de

Additionally you should apply on time for the Buddy Programme: https://www.hs-emden-leer.de/en/organization/institutions/international-office/international-students/buddy-program





If you entry from a risk area and have a room at local dormitory (Studentenwerk OL / Steinweg 20) you will find all necessary information at following pages: https://www.studentenwerk-oldenburg.de/en/einreise-und-quarantaene.html      language can be switched

Please note that the “Studentenwerk Oldenburg” often rents the rooms (costs depending on the flat) mostly for one whole semester = (Sep-Feb/Mar-Aug). The rent plus deposit needs to be paid upfront - before your arrival in Emden - in advance via bank transaction (your personal bank account).



The best is to arrive in time before lecture start and inform the International Office upfront about your plans (in case you have been quarantined).

e-mail: international.office(at)hs-emden-leer.de




In order to be as well prepared as possible for the start of your studies, our students have noted “must haves” for you, so that you are optimally prepared for the first week events and for studying despite Corona!

  • Internet connection (you will move to Emden or Leer for a course of study? Great - but remember early enough that you need an internet connection after moving to take part in the offers of your university - unfortunately due to Corona not everything can be in the presence again occur)
  •  Laptop / tablet / PC: Everyone needs basic technical equipment during their studies (even before and after Corona times)! Be sure to bring a laptop with you to follow the online courses.
  • Camera: You have basic technical equipment, this does not necessarily include a camera - but of course it is always  an advantage if your fellow students (and also the teacher) can see one - after all, I would like to see the others too;)
  • Microphone (all online tools have a chat function. If there is no microphone integrated in your laptop / computer, this is not too bad: questions can also be asked via the chat!)

Medical protective masks should also be brought along, as wearing mouth and nose protection is also mandatory in our facility. In non-public areas, it is necessary if the minimum distance of 1.5 meters from other people cannot be maintained (physically distancing).



It should cover all new and emerging diseases, epidemics and medically necessary treatments, including e.g. COVID-19. The insurance policy should be available in English or in German. European students, who have an EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) and Turkish students, who have an AT/11 form, do not need an extra health insurance to study in Germany.
More you can learn here: https://www.studying-in-germany.org/coronavirus-health-insurance-faq-for-international-students-in-germany







No, should students decide to take only online-classes at UAS Emden/Leer, and not to enter Germany, a health insurance is not mandatory for enrollment, that means international students from countried outside of the European Union (EU) who do not reside in Germany during their studies are exempted from compulsory health insurance.

However, please note that according to the current information, the obligation to have health insurance will be effective upon the student's later entry into Germany. If students enter Germany during the current semester the coverage of health insurance will take effect retroactively from the beginning of the semester, which means that insurance fees must be paid retroactively.

No, only enrolled students can participate in online courses offered by the University of Applied Sciences Emden/Leer.


After proper enrollment you normally will receive a Campus Card, with which you will also receive your account data at our Computer Centre. If it will not be possible to pick it up in person (as the situation does not allow it), we take care for organizing this data in digital form.

Please inform us beforehand about (if you have to stay in quarantine or cannot enter Germany): international.office(at)hs-emden-leer.de




When submitting a university admission, it is generally assumed that attendance is mandatory. This is sufficient. It is therefore no longer necessary for the university to issue an additional, individual certificate of attendance


Take - Away - Canteen

The canteen reopens its doors to students and employees of the university from May 6th. We always offer delicious food for consumption outside the home from 12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. Of course, we try to avoid unnecessary personal contact in our take-away canteen and thus minimize the risk of infection. We therefore ask you to strictly adhere to the following steps when visiting the cafeteria:

• Observe the AHA formula in the building (keep your distance, observe hygiene, wear a medical mask).

• Select dish and take-away container:

o Disposable packaging made from sustainable raw materials is available for an extra charge of 30 cents.

o [NEW] For the re-bowl reusable bowls, a deposit of 5 euros will be charged at the checkout. The bowls can be brought back at the next visit. More on this here: "Rebowlution" - Avoiding more waste with reusable containers "

• Our guests can pay with the CampusCard or in cash.

• Enjoy your food at least 50 meters away from the point of sale. No consumption on site.

IMPORTANT: In order to be allowed to enter the canteen you will need the LucaApp! Please download the App accordingly.

In the following we would like to inform you about the possibilities of getting vaccinated against Covid-19.

The information was last updated on May 26, 2021. Since the regulations and circumstances are constantly changing at the moment, this information is not guaranteed. Please inform yourself regularly about publicly available notices.

We are still in the middle of the pandemic. We therefore ask you to continue to take the necessary measures such as wearing a medical mask, hygiene, especially regular hand washing and sufficient distance.

All information about a possible vaccination in Germany can be found here.