Arrival Formalities

When starting your studies at the University of Applied Sciences Emden/Leer as an international student for the first time, there are a few intial formalities you need to take care of. Therefore please consider the following steps to go carefully:

Step 1: Health Insurance

International students, who are studying in Germany are required to prove a proper health insurance!

If you do not have a health insurance that is valid in Germany, it is indispensable to apply for a governmental health insurance. Please note that a governmental health insurance is valid only for those being under 30 years old.

During the orientation weeks the International Office schedules individual consultancy appointments with a local health insurance company. 

Step 2: City Registration

Within the first week after your arrival in Emden/Leer, you are required to register at the local citizens office in town. In order to proceed the registration successfully you need to meet with an officer at the Immigration Office, from whom you will receive a confirmation of stay (NOT residence permit) after showing your letter of acceptance of the University of Applied Sciences Emden/Leer as well as your passport. With receiving the confirmation of stay in Germany, the registration can be finalized properly.

The following documents are required for the registration:

  • valid passport
  • residential address in Emden/Leer
  • confirmation of stay from the Immigration Office

Citizen Office Emden: Frickensteinplatz 2, 26721 Emden (in German)

Citizen Office Leer: Rathausstraße 1, 26789 Leer (in German)

For your registration at the Citizen Office the International Office povides group appointments which will be announced at the beginning of the semester. 

Step 3: Residence Permit

If your nationality is from a non-european country you need a residence permit for your study period in Germany. With respect to the new enforcement of the electronic residence permit (eAT), we highly recommend you to contact your local Immigration Office soon after your arrival.

The following documents are required in order to file for your residence permit successfully:

  • valid passport 
  • valid passport picture
  • enrolment certificate
  • proof of health insurance
  • proof of financial coverage (block account)

Approximately 4-6 weeks after your application for the residence permit the Immigration Office will inform you about your current residence status.

To extend your residence permit the International Office povides group appointments which will be announced at the beginning of the semester. 

Step 4: Enrolment

With the enrolment, you are officialy registered at the University of Applied Sciences Emden/Leer. For a successful completion of your enrolment, the following documents need to be at hand:

  • valid passport picture
  • proof of valid health insurance (membership confirmation)
  • proof of semester-fee payment (abstract of account)

As soon as you have been enroled properly you will receive your campus card (in German), usually within 1-2 days. 

Step 5: Bank Account Activation

If you have opened up a block account to proof your finances for your studies in Germany (e.g. at Deutsche Bank), you need to activate your account (i.e. bank account approval) in order to be able to use it for transactions and cash transfer.

For your block account activation the International Office povides group appointments which will be announced at the beginning of the semester. 

Liability Insurance

It's advisable in Germany to have a liability insurance. The liability insurance is important when you accidentally injure or damage someone else or someone else's property. It is highly recommended to have this insurance. For further information see here. 

Radio Licence Fee

In Germany, every house, flat or apartment must currently pay a radio licence fee (the so-called Rundfunktbeitrag) to the ARD, ZDF and Deutschlandradio broadcasting station. Students are not exempted. It must be paid monthly (1x per apartment). For further information see here.